Like I said yesterday, we didn't make any big plans for the long weekend because we thought we'd be moving back into our basement this weekend. We could have packed up and gone to S's parents summer house, but one of the carpenters was working yesterday and we didn't want to risk leaving the house unlocked when he left at the end of the day. So we stuck around and spent a little time with our friend Google....
And discovered that tiling is super easy and really not that expensive at all.
tile for our kitchen backsplash weeks ago and toyed with the idea of having the guy doing the tile downstairs also do the backsplash for us. We thought that since they'd have all the tools already, the cost might end up being a wash. Their quote to tile 25 sq ft of kitchen backsplash was right around $300 (not including the cost of tile). The cost for our supplies was $75 and that doesn't count the bag full of stuff we didn't use and can return. We borrowed a wet saw, which cut out the $90 rental fee.
Given how much we (S) usually mull over every single decision around here, I was a little shocked to walk in at 4pm and see S, covered in tile dust, smiling at the two foot section of wall he'd just completed since starting at 3:30. "Oh thank goodness you're here," he said, "how do you want me to cut the corners?"
Well then, I guess we chose to tile ourselves.
I became the corner calculator and the master tile spacer. You'd think that sheets of mosaic tile would just stick up and be just right, but the long straight lines between the rows needed to be carefully adjusted under at least half of the tiles. I am positive that any person we hired to install the tile would not have been as compulsive about spacing the tile as I was. It was easy, but a little time consuming.
S cut and stuck, I adjusted and Feeney guarded the tile.
We were super lucky that the counter to cabinet height was exactly one and a half sheets high, so we didn't have to make any horizontal half cuts of tiles as we circled the room until we got to the window. We had to cut for the outlets, which involved cutting so the longer end came as close to the outlet as we needed and then filling the short space with tiles cut in half vertically.
We got up this morning, had some eggs (clean pan on the stove got covered with tile dust) and got back to work where we left off - our goal being to finish by noon.
We're really happy with how the marble tile we chose blends with the counters and the cabinets. I wanted to down-play the creamy yellowish tones in the cabinets and bring out the gray in the granite counters. We weren't convinced our plan would work from the small 4x4 sample we brought home, but we chose it because it was the closest we could get without blowing our budget. The tile definitely does what we want. It has just enough off-white tile that it matches the cabinets, enough gray to bring out the gray (and downplay the brown) in the counter, and lots of white to neutralize everything. We really couldn't have made a better choice for the colors we were working with.